Monday 25 July 2016

30 Things Before 30...


It's looming, the big 3-0. Seriously, where the f*ck has 30 years gone?! If I start contemplating it too much then I get incredibly emotional so let's breeze past that part and get straight to The List. 

Everyone has one, stored away somewhere, of things they want to do before X. Mine is a list of 30 things before 30, and with less than 5 months until my birthday I thought it was a good opportunity to review that list and see if I can tick off anything else. Some are quite generic, and others are more personal. I should say that this is my list, and not a list I think others should use as their own because everyone is different (although if you feel particularly inspired, feel free!).
  1. Get a tattoo - 3 so far, and 2 more planned (sorry mum and dad).
  2. Buy a house - Last year we bought our second house in a sweet little village in Yorkshire and I'm so in love with it. 
  3. Ride a hot air balloon - Egypt at sunrise...it was pretty spectacular. 
  4. Set foot on all continents - nope, not yet. Made good headway though.  
  5. Volunteer - I loved working at Cats Protection, and even took home a furry friend from there after I lost my own cat. 
  6. Meet the one - I'm busy planning our wedding for next year so...you tell me!
  7. Find a career I love - I never wake up dreading going to work. Every day is different, and I can't see myself in any other industry. 
  8. Start a family tradition - homemade cake and Bucks Fizz on Christmas morning, my favourite.
  9. Run a 5k for charity - Race for Life more than once, raising money for Cancer Research.
  10. Run a 10k for charity - hopefully will be done! I've signed up for the Abbey Dash in November, 2 weeks before my birthday, to raise money for Age UK.
  11. Run an assault course/obstacle course - 10 mile Total Warrior in 2015. Total Warrior 2016 was somewhat scuppered by a broken wrist, but TW 2017 is ON.
  12. Excel at something - I'm a rather good writer, but that never gets showcased, so for this one I think I'm excelling at my yoga practice and mindfulness. Always room for improvement though! 
  13. Shake a bad habit - I used to be a sugar addict - most of my friends will testify to this. Now I don't drink any sugary drinks, no sugary sweets and rarely even have dessert these days. It sounds boring, but I'm feeling so much healthier. 
  14. Go on a road trip - Pacific West Coast, 2014, one of my favourite memories.
  15. Write and publish a novel - hmph, still working on this one. Written plenty, but haven't had the nerve to try and get published. 
  16. Bungee jump or skydive - possibly a fun honeymoon adventure...
  17. Start a business - I like to think I had at least a guiding hand in starting up SO's business, and it's going from strength to strength since year one.
  18. Spend Christmas on a beach - still on the list!
  19. Go skiing or snowboarding - ended in disaster, but that's not the point, I did it.
  20. Finish a degree - done and dusted, BA in Business with Marketing, 2010 graduate.
  21. Read 100 novels - I think by now I've read closer to 1000; hours very well spent.
  22. Learn a foreign language - my French is more than a little shaky, so this is one to work on.
  23. See a favourite band in concert -  AFI, Foo Fighters, Fall out Boy, Panic! At The Disco, My Chemical Romance, Placebo... you can see the type of music I grew up listening to, right?
  24. Plant a tree - I think this is one to do on my 30th birthday. My parents still live in the same house I grew up in, so that will definitely be the place to do it.
  25. Sleep under the stars - camping doesn't count. One for the 'Before 31' list.
  26. Climb a mountain - Old Man Coniston in 2015, plans to climb Snowdon in 2016, where next for 2017?
  27. Have family photos taken - James and I gifted a family photoshoot to our respective parents for Christmas last year; it was SO much fun and now we have some gorgeous photos to keep forever.
  28. Get a handle on my anxiety - with the help of yoga, acupuncture, good friends and a great fiance, this is something I can definitely say DONE. I still have bad patches, but I'm more in control now than I ever was.
  29. Love my body - a work in progress, stay tuned. 
  30. Start and maintain a blog - looks like it's going well to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment