Tuesday 19 January 2016

Book Review: In A Dark, Dark Wood


My advice? Cancel your plans this evening, pick up a copy of this eerie novel on your way home, curl up with a cuppa, and get drawn in.

Summary:
Nora hasn’t seen Clare for ten years. Not since Nora walked out of school one day and never went back.
Until, out of the blue, an invitation to Clare’s bachelorette party arrives. Is this a chance for Nora to finally put her past behind her?
But something goes wrong. Very wrong.

As a bride-to-be (have I mentioned that I'm getting married? Bridezilla alert...) this was a particularly interesting read for me, and one of the finest debut novels I've read in a long time. In A Dark, Dark Wood is beautifully written, flows well, and the characters are easy to relate to and well-developed. 

My favourite type of novel is intensely character driven, and In A Dark, Dark Wood ticks that box for sure. Conversations between characters are believable and flow nicely, and you really get a feel of Nora's inner workings as the story progresses. It's the kind of story that leaves you feeling bereft when you're finished with it, and a sense of 'what do I do with myself now?' which is what really signifies a superb story for me. 

I felt like I needed a lie down after finishing it. Beautifully haunting, and a definite must-read for 2016. And Ruth Ware, please hurry up with your next book!

2 comments:

  1. I loved this book, I got it for Christmas from my little boy! Been telling people that they really need to give it a go :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I've been raving about it to anyone who will listen :) Lx

      Delete